Date: Sun 13 Oct 2013

Airbus Reclaim Top Spot and Bala Stun Steelmen

Buddugoliaethau i Airbus a'r Bala

Airbus UK 4 Aberystwyth 1

(Report Rory Sheehan)

AIRBUS UK Broughton returned to the top of the Welsh Premier table after a second-half blitz saw Aberystwyth Town defeated 4-1.

Early Airbus pressure was nearly rewarded after five minutes when Lewis Short’s well-struck drive forced Aberystwyth goalkeeper Mike Lewis into a low save. At the other end Chris Venables went close as the visitors showed their own attacking intent.

The visitors then took the lead when a lapse in defence left Geoff Kellaway with a clear run on goal, and he finished low past James Coates to put Aberystwyth 1-0 up.

Airbus were back on level terms on 34 minutes when Steve Jones cross from the left was headed home at the far post from close-range by Chris Budrys. The equaliser was deserved for the Wingmakers reaction to going behind, and at 1-1 at the break..

On 50 minutes Ian Kearney headed the Wingmakers on front with a powerful header from a corner and on 65 minutes the Wingmakers extended their lead to 3-1. Lewis Short crossed from the left, Chris Budrys nodded the ball down at the far-post - leaving a tap-in for Steve Jones from two- yards out.

With quarter of an hour to go Mike Roddy burst through on goal and with a cool low finish put the Wingmakers 4-1 up and secure the points for Airbus. The score-line was slightly harsh on an Aberystwyth side who had shown plenty of attacking enterprise – and they then went close with a drive just off target from Venables.

Port Talbot 0 Bala 2

(by Matthew Burgess)

BALA Town picked up their first away win of the season at the expense of Port Talbot Town, who fell to a 2-0 defeat on Sunday.

An unspectacular encounter proved to be almost as grim as the heavy rain clouds that loomed over the GenQuip Stadium for the duration of an afternoon which leaves Port Talbot with just three points from three successive home matches.

The repeat fixture of last season’s Europa League play-off final saw Port Talbot chasing the game early on, when the visitors forged a 10th-minute lead.

Kieran Smith slid in ahead of defender James Bloom to prod in Mark Connolly’s inviting cross from the left.

Port Talbot were stung again, deep into second-half added time, when Mark Jones added the finishing pieces of a Bala
break-away to leave Scott Young bemoaning his side’s performance at both ends of the field.

“We had a lot of possession and we created a lot of half-chances but we definitely need to be more ruthless at both ends of the pitch, our 18-yard box and theirs,” he said post-match.

“[Our form] is worrying with the players and strike force we’ve got but we need to start finishing these half-chances off and scoring goals again.

Port Talbot: 29. Steven Hall, 3. James Bloom, 2. Ryan Green, 5. Lee Surman, 6. Gethin Jones (13. Josh Bell 86′), 8. Lewis Harling, 11. Lee John, 19. Adie Harris (9. Martin Rose 66′), 26. Rhys Griffiths, 39. David Brooks (20. Sam O’Sullivan 56′), 14. Sacha Walters. Subs not used: 25. David Burnett, 12. Leigh De Vulgt

Red Cards: None
Yellow Cards: Harris 23′ John 28′ Green 35′ Jones 83′

Bala: 1. Ashley Morris, 3. Ben Collins, 4. Stuart Jones, 5. Ryan Valentine, 12. Dave Morley, 6. Conall Murtagh, 7. Mark Connolly, 8. Mark Jones, 11. Steffan Edwards (17. Stephen Brown 74′), 10. Ian Sheridan (18. Lewis Codling 85′), 28. Kieran Smith. Subs not used: 23. Matthew Boswell, 14. Edwin Renaud, 22. Ryan Wyn Jones, 24. Chris Mason

Red Cards: None
Yellow Cards: Connolly 76′

Attendance: 259 Referee: Kris Hames

Enillodd Airbus yn ddigon cyfforddus yn erbyn Aberystwyth brynhawn Sul - Nhw yw'r unig glwb sydd heb golli yn UGC-Corbett Sports y tymor hwn - a llwyddodd Y Bala i ennill oddi-cartref am y tro cyntaf yn eu hymgyrch hyd yma drwy guro Port Talbot o 2-0 yn Stadiwm GenQuip.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala