Date: Fri 04 Oct 2013

Port Talbot Ladies beat Wrexham


An early first half own goal from Wrexham’s Kate Edwards, swiftly followed by a quality strike by Port Talbot frontrunner Sian Scannell, provided the GenQuip Ladies with their first Welsh Premier League win of the season. (reports Robert Clement).
With the Collier’s Park visitors helped with a strong wind, it was skipper Lyndsey Rodger who supplied a fifth minute cross into the six yard area, but unfortunately there was no supporting player available to apply the vital goal-scoring touch.
Port Talbot soon responded, and there was unexpected reward when following a Courteney Thomas opening, newcomer Clare Daley saw her angled delivery into the goalmouth, turned into the Wrexham net at the near post by Kate Edwards.
Port Talbot then struck once again during the 14th minute, this time Treharris based Scannell was ideally placed just outside the six yard box to despatch a low shot through the legs of the Wrexham keeper Delyth Morgan, following good work by Exeter born new signing Sophie Gidley.
Having twice broken Wrexham’s resistance, Rachael Ball increased the attacking tempo to deliver a twenty five yard shot narrowly over the bar, after twenty five minutes for the home side.
Just after the half hour, Daley was brought down by Rodger, and from the resulting free-kick Hayley Williams applied a curling delivery, which just failed to produce a third goal, with the ball flying wide of the upright.
Soon after there was a slick attacking movement from Rodger, with her creating a genuine threat picking out the available Ashleigh Hayes, only for the frontrunner to be inches away from finding the net with a firmly struck header.
During the final minute prior to the interval, Gidley was a touch unfortunate, with her attacking movement in the Wrexham penalty area not being decisive enough to trouble under nineteen international shot stopper Morgan, following a perfectly despatched through ball from Hayley Williams.
The complexion of the game almost changed on the hour, with Rodger posing a positive threat, but it was Bethan Ellis who reacted superbly to make a vital save on her goal-line.
Wrexham continued to probe the Port Talbot defence with Rodger despatching a lengthy throw into the penalty area, but it was Williams who displayed determination along with character to apply a timely headed clearance.
With five minutes remaining, there was an ill-timed challenge from Jade Davies on Ball, which forced referee David Morgan produced the red card to the Port Talbot player for retaliation, while Davies received identical treatment for violent conduct.
With the match well into added on time, substitute Lauren Williams was inches away from despatching a Hayley Williams corner into the net from close range.
Port Talbot Town: Bethan Ellis, Jessica Wadey, Jesci Hare, Hayley Williams (capt), Sian Scannell, Rachael Ball, Courteney Thomas, Tija Richardson, Sophie Gidley (Lauren Williams 89th min), Clare Daley (Lucy Olde 77th min), Lauren Smith (Jessica Curran 77th min).
Unused substitute: Samantha Morgan.
Wrexham: Delyth Morgan, Julia Morris, Louise Edwards, Kate Edwards, Stephanie Taylor, Lyndsey Rodger (capt), Amber Bailey, Olivia Pridding-Hull, Jade Davies, Ashleigh Hayes, Emma Roden.
Unused substitutes: Tina Bignall, Amber Dean, Clair Smith.
Referee: David Morgan (Swansea).
Score summary: Port Talbot Town: Kate Edwards (o.g) 10th min, Sian Scannell 14th min.
Yellow cards: Port Talbot Town: Lauren Smith 68th min.
Wrexham: Ashleigh Hayes 26th min.
Red cards: Port Talbot Town: Rachael Ball 85th min.
Wrexham: Jade Davies 85th min.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala