Date: Sat 06 Apr 2013

Prestatyn and Bangor reach Welsh Cup Final

Barry Town 1-2 Prestatyn Town

Latham Park, Newtown

Prestatyn Town have reached their first Welsh Cup Final following a 2-1 win at Newtown over a valiant Barry Town.

Prestatyn took the lead on 18 minutes at Newtown with Andy Parkinson firing into the roof of the net after good approach play from Tommy Holmes and Neil Gibson. The Welsh League side restored parity just two minutes later as TJ Nagi equalised. There was more bad news for the Seasiders a few minutes later as they lost skipper Dave Hayes through injury, as Chris Davies came off the bench and Mike Parker took the captain's armband. It remained 1-1 at the break.

Prestatyn lost Mike Parker through injury with Rhys Owen replacing him and when Jason Price hit the post, there must have been even the most loyal of Saeasiders' fans thinking it may not be their day. But, Price then struck to hand the Welsh Premier side the lead again and that proved to be the winner to seal his side's place in an inaugural Welsh Cup Final.

Barry Town

Daniel Bradley, Geraint Frowen (Dale Howarthy 84'), Lee Baldock, Ryan Evans, Dan Clare (c), James Saddler, Nickie Jones (Troy Greening 84'), Ryan Dorrian (Bobby Briers 84'), TJ Nagi, Ryan Jenkins, Michael Hartley
Substitutes / Eilyddion:Lewis Cosslett, Brendan Cropley (GK)

Prestatyn Town

Jon Hill-Dunt, Tommy Holmes, Anthony Stephens, Greg Stones, Dave Hayes (Chris Davies, 35'), Gareth Wilson, Mike Parker (Rhys Owen 65'), Neil Gibson, Andy Parkinson, Jason Price, Ross Stephens
Subs not used: Martyn Beattic, Dan Evans, Carl Murray
Substitutes / Eilyddion:Martyn Beattie, Dan Evans, Carl Murray

Attendance: 401
Referee: Bryn Markham-Jones

Bangor City 1-0 The New Saints

Belle Vue, Rhyl.

A lob from Chris Jones with almost the last kick of the game booked Bangor City their place in the Welsh Cup Final against Prestatyn Town.

In a tense opening to the live match, Bangor keeper Lee Idzi was the first tested as Ryan Fraughan shot well from the edge of the box. Fraughan also had another half-chance five minutes before the break after Mike Johnston misjudged a header, but the volley went wide.

Just before the break Phil Baker scooped his shot over after Kai Edwards headed back from the corner, but it remained goal-less at the interval.

Chris Simm had Bangor's best chance of the match on 64 minutes as he capitalised on a mistake at the back, but Paul Harrison saved well. From the resulting corner, Chris Jones' volley went over.

TNS hit the post midway through the second half as Mike Wilde's slide at the far post just couldn't creep inside the post. Drama followed and the Saints were reduced to ten men on 79 minutes as half-time sub Sam Finley was given his marching orders for serious foul play by referee Nick Pratt.

This lifted the Citizens and their vocal supporters as they bombarded the Saints box in the remaining ten minutes, as Les Davies and Damien Allen who had good chances, both volleyed over. It looked as though extra-time was inevitable, but Chris Jones found space and he lobbed Paul Harrison from the edge of the box to win it.

Bangor City

Lee Idzi, Peter Hoy (Sion Edwards, 75'), Chris Roberts, Dave Morley, Michael Johnston ©, Chris Jones, Liam Brownhill, Damien Allen, Ryan Edwards, Les Davies, Chris Simm (Gary O’Toole, 83')
Substitutes / Eilyddion: Robbie Booth, Corey Jones, Levi Mackin

The New Saints

Paul Harrison ©, Simon Spender, Chris Marriott, Phil Baker, Kai Edwards, Scott Ruscoe, Aeron Edwards (Sam Finley, 46'), Ryan Fraughan, Chris Jones, Alex Darlington (Matty Williams, 71'), Mike Wilde,
Substitutes / Eilyddion: Greg Draper, Jamie Mullan, Connell Rawlinson

Attendance: 486
Referee: Nick Pratt

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala