Date: Sat 23 Feb 2013

Robinson heads Nomads to Stebo Win

Mike Robinson scored the only goal of the game

Mike Robinson scored the only goal of the game

When the two sides met at Stebonheath in November, the Reds were on the wrong end of a 1-6 thrashing, and while the latest encounter was closer, a solitary 29th minute headed goal by the visitors Michael Robinson proved enough to extend the hosts miserable home record. Out of a possible total of 39 points from their home games, they have accumulated just 9 from two wins and three draws, while their away record makes far better reading with a total of 21 points by virtue of six wins and three draws with only three losses.

Admittedly, the present side with all the new recruits is still something of work in progress, and there are signs that given time they could gell into a reasonable outfit, but with just seven matches remaining to the end of the season, time is not on their side and the main concern must be to maintain their Welsh Premier status.Both sides went close in the opening stagers, with Jack McKenna firing a first time volley over the top of the visitors goal when Jeff White set up the chance. When the home defence allowed Robert Jones too much room to turn and unleash a shot it deflected off Lee Hartshorn and narrowly wide for a corner. Nomads keeper, John Rushton, was then called into action, diving full length to divert away a Craig Williams effort which was destined for the bottom corner, while at the other end, Craig Morris came off his line to fly kick clear from the oncoming Mike Hayes when Ricky Evans sent him clear.

Morris was in action again, pushing away a cross drilled into the goalmouth by Robert Jones, and then he did well to keep out with his legs a close range attempt from Jamie Petrie. The Reds countered through Jordan Smith whose shot was just off target from a pass by Craig Moses, and Rushton was forced to turn over a McKenna effort which was dipping under the bar from a White assist. A shot from distance by Robert Jones led to Morris diverting it over, and from the resulting corner by the same player, Robinson rose unchallenged to head into the net on 29 minutes. When the home side responded, a cross by Williams led to Dylan Blain directing the ball to the far post where White was fractionally away from making contact from close range. Just before the break, a free kick by Craig Jones found the head of Evans, and Morris had to be alert to divert it clear to prevent a further success. Moses made a hash of connecting with the ball when he found himself in space close to the Nomads goal, while Evans blasted a free kick inches wide of the Reds goal from outside the box. There then followed a spate of yellow cards by referee Dean John for some quite innocuous offences, with six players on either side being cautioned in the space of twelve minutes, while two more followed them into the book prior to the final whistle.

The visitors went close again when a clearance downfield led to Hayes winning possession before letting off a shot at goal which beat Morris but struck the base of the post before being cleared. The same player was involved again with Morris this time pushing away his strike on target, and history was then made for the Reds when Ariel Mrowinski was introduced off the bench to become the first Polish player to represent the club. Shortly before the close, Hayes had another chance of increasing the advantage, but with Morris off his line could only send his finish over the bar. Disappointment again for the home side who must improve on their woeful home record, although they will have to wait for the visit of Aberystwyth Town on 16th March to attempt this. They have no game this weekend, and then travel to meet Bala Town on Sunday, 9th March for their next fixture.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala