Bala Town 577


0 - 1

Aberystwyth Town

Bala Town v
Aberystwyth Town

Kick off:19:45 Tuesday, 6 Oct 2015
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 183

Referee: Ryan Stewart

Bala's unbeaten run comes to an end

Town’s unbeaten run in the Dafabet WPL came to an end on Tuesday night courtesy of a Chris Venables penalty five minutes from time.

Town’s unbeaten run in the Dafabet WPL came to an end on Tuesday night courtesy of a Chris Venables penalty five minutes from time.

Bala got underway brightly even though they had six of their normal starters missing, Brown and Hunt starting well with a well worked move down the right wing.

The Town defence were called into action early on however with Valentine clearing a cross and the resulting corner floating over the bar from Stuart Jones’ header.

Kellaway was a threat as always, sending a volley over the crossbar before his break was forced out by Irving and Valentine with the following corner leading to Thomas’ drive taking a deflection for another corner. Aber’s pressure was continuous during this spell with Morris then being forced into making a low save with his solidly dealt with.

Bala weren’t sitting back however as they edged back into the game as the half grew on. Lee Hunt’s strike was toe-poked wide of the far upright taking a deflection and the corner then being headed wide of the target.

Brown had a golden opportunity to open the scoring after 23 minutes when a brilliant ball from Connolly led to Hunt’s initial shot being saved with Brown’s follow-up being palmed away by Mullock in the Aber net.

A free-kick by Connolly was curled over the far corner minutes later before a Jones’ cross was saved easily by Mullock.

Mullock was called into action again when he parried away Connolly’s shot after an excellent cross-field ball by Brown. Both keepers were busy with Morris then pulling an incredible save to deny Rhys Griffiths’ goal-bound header.

Bala had the ball in the net on 37 minutes through Hunt’s low drive from Brown’s delivery but was a yard offside and saw his goal chalked off.

It was end to end in the final moments of the first half, Kellaway’s daisy-cutter got a hand to it by Morris with the header being diverted over by Reed but Bala could’ve taken a halftime lead when Hunt had two successive chances saved by Mullock after great build-up by Valentine and Brown.

The battle continued in the second half but Bala just couldn’t get the break they wanted with Aber starting the second period on the front foot.

Brown’s shot was hit wildly over the bar after a stunning ball to him from Connolly.

The visitors were breaking quickly against Bala’s high line with a mismatch of 3 against 1 but Irving was there to track back and clear away the danger. Ross Stephens smashed a free-kick straight into the wall as their pressure continued.

Successive corners were cleared away before a moment of magic by Mark Jones who’s sublime scissor volley was headed clear by Aber.

Platt forced a saved by Mullock with his header before Stephens fired over after great work by Irving. Mark Connolly had a superb opportunity to take the lead when he went one on one with Mullock he couldn’t take the slightest touch to poke it past the shot-stopper.

Into the final five minutes and Bala were dealt a blow when Ashley Morris brought down an Aber forward after Artell’s back header was short four minutes from time which substitute Venables stepped up to dispatch giving Aber the lead.

With time running out Bala were forced to walk away with the three points heading to Park Avenue.

A first defeat in the WPL but Town are now third in the table. Saturday will see Town head to Llandudno – kickoff 2.30p.m.