Bala Town 577


0 - 0

The New Saints

Bala Town v
The New Saints

Kick off:17:15 Saturday, 26 Sept 2015
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League

Referee: Kevin Parry

Report by Hannah Gwenllian (Bala Town FC)

Bala Town 0, The New Saints 0

Goalless draw but plenty of entertainment in Saturday night fixture!

In Sgorio’s live game on Saturday night was full of entertainment even though it was a scoreless draw. Both Clubs came into this weekend’s fixture both unbeaten in the WPL and by 7.00p.m. they both still were!

The game was very competitive throughout with the two teams battling hard from the outset – even with Town with an injury hit squad.

Hunt tested first for the Town when he went one on one with Harrison, won the ball but was pulled back by the referee who decided to award a freekick after a foul.

The Saints forward line were a constant danger with Draper, Wilde and Quigley leading the front line but it was Simon Spender who tested first when John Irving made a superb block clearance off the goalline after 8 minutes.

A header by Wilde was kept out by Morris before another chance was palmed clear from Aeron Edwards’ halfvolley.

In the other net, Harrison saved Mark Jones half volley before Platt swung his shot goalbound but his strike lacked power.

Pressure was building from TNS but Bala’s defence were coping with Stephens stopping Quigley and Marriott’s corner headed away.

Bala weren’t just parking the bus as they also were creating opportunities. Connolly forced miscommunication between Baker and Rawlinson but his cross was too short to meet Hunt.

The Lakesiders were having a good spell as Hunt’s goalbound shot which took a touch off Edwards’ head to conceed a corner. Swung in by Pearson, Artell sent his free header go wide of the far post.

As the half came to a close Quigley turned and volleyed comfortably over the crossbar.

Bala began the second half well as Connolly broke quickly, splitting the defence but being deemed offside by the linesman.

After a good quick combination down the TNS wing, Seargeant fired over the bar from 18 yards out.

Wilde’s header was denied by the Bala defence who were a unit throughout and all had a superb match.

Connolly couldn’t beat the offside trap when released down the left wing before Hunt’s pass to Connolly was headed away by Edwards before Seargeant placed another chance over the bar.

Stuart Jones headed away a visitors chance before John Irving stopped Matty Williams turn and strike with another goalline clearance.

TNS were cranking up the pressure as they looked for a late winner with Ryan Edwards firing wide but yet again the Bala back four and Morris were dealing with all the trouble.

A mistake at the back for the Saints was pounced on by Connolly who squared the ball to Hunt who had plenty of time to strike but took too long and saw the ball swiped away by the away defenders.

With three minutes of injury time added a double chance from Thompson was palmed away twice by Harrison in what could’ve been a dramatic ending for the Lakesiders.

A solid performance by the Lakesiders especially the backline who were excellent. Bala’s unbeaten run continues and means four clubs are joint-top on 13 points.

It’s a break from WPL on Wednesday as we travel to face Caernarfon Town in theWord Cup Second Round.