Bala Town 577


2 - 1

Airbus UK Broughton

Bala Town v
Airbus UK Broughton

Kick off:15:45 Monday, 31st Aug 2015
at Maes Tegid
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 404

Referee: Iwan Griffith

Report by Hannah Gwenllian (Bala Town FC)

A brace from Anthony Stephens saw the Lakesiders pick up their first win of the 2015-16 campaign infront of a bumper 404 Bank Holiday Maes Tegid crowd.

Coming off the back of a 5-1 win over Carmarthen on the opening day, Airbus were a threat throughout Sgorio’s TV fixture, beginning brightly and testing Morris early on as Wade cut into the area but put the ball straight into his arms.

Bala tended to look a little rusty in the opening 15 minutes with the only chance coming from Jones who looked to feed Connolly but the throughball was too strong.

However the defence were very much awake, keeping the visitors at bay and then settling and starting to test Coates in the visiting goal.

Sheridan received the ball on the edge of the box but was unable to get his foot around the ball cleanly but the ball fell to Smith who’s rebounding effort was hacked away prior to an Airbus break which was blasted over the crossbar.

With 31 minutes played Sheridan was bundled over wide on the wing from Stephens’ throughball by Ashley Williams for referee Iwan Griffith to award a freekick. A perfectly whipped in ball by Connolly was met by Stephens who powerfully connected onto the inswinger to stick the ball in the net past James Coates, scoring his first goal for the Club.

From the restart Town’s lead could’ve been doubled as a Bala break was cleared but falling to the path of Valentine in space who fired over before down the other end Field did exactly the same.

Minutes before the interval Sheridan unleashed a fierce strike from 30 yards which hit the side netting with Town’s tails well and truly up.

Second half saw Bala keep Airbus a little quieter than they’d been in the first half and forcing away their chances out for corners and throw-ins whilst they tried to force attacks themselves.

Wade rattled the crossbar for the visitors near the hour mark before Connolly headed off the line.

A break by Smith who weaved through the midfield allowed Connolly through the defence but as he pulled the trigger was beaten to the ball which went out for a corner. The resulting corner by Rob Pearson saw Artell force Coates into a brilliant one handed save from his bullet free unmarked header.

Hunt and Thompson entered the fray with Bala showing intent of adding to their lead. Both linked up when Thompson’s cross from the left found Hunt who could only put the ball over the bar. There was plenty of space for Thompson who kept delivering crossed into the box but couldn’t pinpoint a Bala shirt.

Coates parried away Smith’s wicked shot from 20 yards before Ashley Morris made the best save of the game to stop Gray’s effort by brilliantly tipping one handedly over the bar.

Gray got his goal however with seven minutes left on the clock when Bala failed to clear and Gray tidily tucking the ball into the net, giving them a goal that they thoroughly deserved on their first half showing.

Andy Jones fired over from 3 yards when play got back underway before another Town chance was punched away by the Airbus shotstopper.

With the board going up for injury time Smith was tripped in the area whilst breaking into the box for the referee to point to the spot.

Up stepped Stephens who coolly placed the ball into the bottom right hand corner and sealing the three points for the Lakesiders and sending the home supporters into jubilation!

An improved performance from Port Talbot last week and a brilliant game to lift Town up to 4th in the WPL table against a very strong Airbus outfit.