Newtown 644


1 - 1

Bala Town

Newtown v
Bala Town

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 21st Feb 2015
at Paveaways Latham Park
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 265

Referee: Kris Hames

Report by Bala Town FC

Late contentious equaliser hands the Lakesiders a share of the spoils.

After dominating large spells of possession, it took the Lakesiders until the 88th minute to put the ball into the back of net after plenty of chances.

The home side started well with Matty Owen driving a free-kick inches over the crossbar in the opening couple of minutes.

Bala did settle-to be given which Mark Connolly subsequently fired just over the bar from 18 yards.

Mark Jones fired wide from 25 yards after finding space and down the other end Ash Morris was called into action and saved Petrie´s chance comfortably.

The game was very end to end with plenty of counter attacks by both sides. Neil Mitchell forced Morris into a save after good work by the home side and Pearson delivered a superb ball to Brown on the wing but he couldn´t control and capitalise on the build-up.

A golden chance fell to Kieran Smith who collected a one-two from Mark Connolly to break quickly down the left flank, passed his marker and the keeper but over-hit his touch and drove the chance into the side netting.

Another Connolly free-kick fell short as he put the kick into the wall and then Murtagh´s rebounding header was hacked away by the Newtown back four.

Bala finished the half well with consistent pressure forcing Newtown into clearing the ball from Sean Smith´s delivery and Will Bell´s header going over the bar.

The second half saw Bala come out strongly with Sean Smith crossing to Brown on the penalty spot who somehow managed to miss-hit the shot when in a prime position to open the deadlock.

Smith´s effort from range was deflected out for a corner and another chance from Smith was collected with ease by David Jones in the Newtown net.

Connolly had two chances cleared away by the shotstopper and defence before Mark Jones forced Jones into a one-handed tipped save from 30 yards out.

Owen´s sizzling shot saw Morris pull off an excellent left handed save to deny the home side but on 70 minutes, the home side took an against a run of play goal.

A good move saw Cook find Boundford on the right wing who found Williams who´s cross was met by incoming substitute Jason Oswell who blasted the ball in from close range.

Three chances from Smith went wide and over as Bala tried to get back on level terms.

The equaliser came 2 minutes from time when Lee Hunt delivered a brilliant defence splitting ball to Mark Connolly who took the ball on his chest on the edge of the box, beating the offside trap but was immediately met by protests from the Newtown backline who were appealing for a handball. Play was waved on by the referee and his assistant on the far side for Connolly to take the ball in his stride and slot into an empty net much to Newtown´s frustrations.

Hunt nor Lunt could get their foot on the end of Connolly´s point blank cross in injury time to nick the winner so the points were shared.

Bala might feel that they had plenty of chances to take the win but it was a good performance once again and they still sit second in the league table with 7 points taken out of possible 9 at this early stage of the Championship Conference.