Gap Connahs Quay 602


0 - 1

Bala Town

Gap Connahs Quay v
Bala Town

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 11 Oct 2014
at Deeside Stadium
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 184

Referee: Brian James

Super Sub Brown Sinks Nomads

Sean Miller (red) and Sean Smith battle for the ball (NCM Media)

Sean Miller (red) and Sean Smith battle for the ball (NCM Media)

The Nomads suffered a defeat at the hands of Bala Town thanks to a goal from substitute Stephen Brown in the 62nd minute of the game.

The Nomads faced a difficult challenge prior to the game with both Luke Holden and Gary O’ Toole both suspended. This saw academy product Anthony Stanton called up into the squad and started alongside former Bala player Ricky Evans. Marcus Giglio also started for The Nomads whilst McGregor placed himself on the bench.

The game kicked off and soon an extra factor to the game was a brief torrential downpour that hindered some of the players grip on the field. Finding his feet Mark Connolly’s header on the 13th minute was cleared off the line to deny an early lead for the Lakesiders. Bala put further pressure on The Nomads with a free kick that was blocked by the defensive wall. John Dillon capitalised on a free ball in the box leaping to connect his header which went of Ashley Morris’s goal. One of The Nomads' best chances of the game came when Steve Evans played a high ball to Chris Rowntree who controlled but couldn’t get his shot away in the box.

In the second half it was the visitors who reacted first, with two chances inside two minutes. These came from Kieran Smith and Mark Connolly who both shot wide of their target. The game for some part of the second half was an aerial battle with long balls from both 'keepers being contested well by the sides. A spectacular goal nearly came Ryan Valentine's way when his shot from the edge of the box curled narrowly past the top right corner of the goal. The breakthrough did come to Bala Town however, when Stephen Brown who had been on the pitch for only a matter of seconds, scored after an initial save from McCormick came free from his grip, with Brown there to tap the ball in.

The Nomads introduced fresh faces in a bid to get the game back with Anthony Stanton off for Sean Miller and Giglio for player manager Mark McGregor. The Nomads slowly achieved some pressure on Bala, winning corners which were managed well by goalkeeper Ashley Morris. Mike Hayes made a return to the Deeside pitch as a substitute and very nearly sealed the game for Bala, if not for a superb tackle from George Horan. Hayes’ near goal was to be last chance of the game with referee Brian James blowing his whistle after three minutes of injury time, confirming a 1-0 win to the away side.

The Nomads seek to stop the rot next week at Newtown AFC, where they will be looking for their first victory of the season. A week later on Friday the 24th they face Bangor City at Nantporth before finally returning to the Deeside Stadium to welcome Port Talbot Town FC on the 1st November.