Gap Connahs Quay 602


1 - 3


Gap Connahs Quay v

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 19 Sept 2014
at Deeside Stadium
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 528

Referee: Kevin Parry

Rhyl rule at Deeside

A Friday night fixture at the Deeside Stadium saw visitors Rhyl FC run out 3-1 winners thanks to goals from Liam Dawson, Michael Walsh and Levi Mackin...

Rhyl celebrate the Liam Dawson goal (Photo: Nik Mesney)

Rhyl celebrate the Liam Dawson goal (Photo: Nik Mesney)

This was a fixture of big importance to both sides as The Nomads and Rhyl looked to boost themselves towards the top end of the table after difficult starts to the season. The Lilywhites were confident after a 3-2 comeback against Rhyl in a televised match whilst Nomads had earned a respected point away at Aberystwyth.

With the release of Colbeck, Rainford and Parle for The Nomads, Evans and O’Toole began upfront, with Sean Miller supporting them from the midfield. For the visitors the ever strong pairing of Dawson and Bowen started, both scoring goals on their last visit to Deeside in theWord Cup.

From the kick off Prestatyn-turned-Rhyl player Rob Hughes made a burst into the box but to dispossessed by Steve Evans. Pressure continued early on The Nomads' goal, seeing McCormick make a double save and injuring himself momentarily in the process. The Nomads showed their threat upfront with Miller being fouled as he attempted a cross into the box from the right wing. A major chance came the visitors way when Rob Hughes slotted a ball past McCormick but was denied by an off-the-line clearance from George Horan. In response, Miller had his attempt roll parallel with the goal-line before going wide in an agonisingly close chance for the home team.

Alex Ramsay celebrates another Rhyl goal (Photo: Nik Mesney)

Alex Ramsay celebrates another Rhyl goal (Photo: Nik Mesney)

On 32 minutes the scoring was opened by Liam Dawson who struck after an initial shot was saved, getting the shot past an off his line McCormick and the covering Nomads defender. The bad news continued to come The Nomads' way when around five minutes before the break Luke Holden was shown a straight red card, meaning they would see out the game with ten men on the field.

In the second half Gary O’Toole had an effort saved by Alex Ramsay who remained resilient on his line all night. Hughes continued to enjoy an active role for his side enjoying a three separate chances on goal inside three minutes.

Despite Hughes’ labour it was Michael Walsh who got on the score sheet when on 66 minutes he headed the ball into the net from a close range to make it 2-0 to Rhyl.

Some hope was instantly restored to the home fans of Deeside, when Sean Miller replied with a goal, slotting the ball past Ramsay from the right side of the box, his shot over the line before the chasing defender could collect the ball. With confidence from the goal, The Nomads began to battle in the midfield, yet could not stop Levi Mackin’s goal which was hit from outside the box before curving into the top left corner of the net.

The Nomads saw changes with McGregor and Dillon leaving the field for Anthony Stanton and Chris Rowntree in the last ten minutes but the damage seemed to have been done on Nomads chances of a result as Rhyl had now established a near total control on the game with their strength and passing game a recurring sight until the final whistle.