Aberystwyth Town 785


2 - 1

Airbus UK Broughton

Aberystwyth Town v
Airbus UK Broughton

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 8 Nov 2013
at Park Avenue, Aberystwyth
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 408

Referee: Kris Hames

Airbus taste first defeat of the season in Aber

Mark Jones scored the opener for Aber

Mark Jones scored the opener for Aber

Aber Town gained a much needed win this evening with an excellent 2-1 victory over League Leaders Airbus which extends their unbeaten home run to eleven games and takes them back into the Top Six.

The Black and Greens were welcomed onto the field by their flag bearing Disability Eleven known as the All Stars, and the homesters made a terrific start, taking the lead within two minutes. A wayward back pass was picked up by Mark Jones, and he showed elastic flexibility to round the goalkeeper and fire home confidently. Aber went on to thoroughly dominate the first half, and should have scored five. Geoff Kellaway, released by the excellent Mike Lewis, lobbed visiting keeper James Coates, who just about scrabbled back to clear the ball off the line, but then on 21 minutes Craig Williams lobbed the ball into the area and Chris Venables reacted quickest to score past Coates for 2-0. Chris Budrys headed wide and Ryan Wade went close for Airbus, but Kellaway then hit the side netting, and Williams’ long distance lob was just about tipped over the bar by Coates, who was Airbus’ best in the first half.

Aber showed superb defensive discipline and were therefore happy to concede possession to the visitors in the second half, but the Wingmakers were mostly restricted to wayward shots off target, and Assistant Manager Andy Morrison was sent to the stands. Wade fired inches wide again, but at the other end Kellaway’s pace was a major concern for the visitors, and Mark Jones also put two shots over the bar. With seventeen minutes to go Airbus finally managed to get a shot on target, and scored when sub Steve Abbott bundled home Glenn Rule’s right wing cross, but Aber went closest in the closing stages, when Kellaway’s cute shot rebounded off the bar and Jones just failed to grab Aber’s third, and some strong defending from Sion James and the returning Stuart Jones saw the hosts through.