Aberystwyth Town 785


3 - 3


Aberystwyth Town v

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 18 Oct 2013
at Park Avenue, Aberystwyth
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 611

Referee: Iwan Griffith

Six Goals Shared and Six-Hundred at Mid Wales Derby

In front of a bumper crowd of 611, injury ravaged Aberystwyth Town showed remarkable resilience to come from behind three times to gain a crucial home point at home to near neighbours Newtown.

The attendance was boosted by a Student Promotion night, and a lively atmosphere welcomed the two sides onto the field. The visitors started with the wind, and went ahead in the fifth minute when ex Aber full back Craig Williams curled home a right footed free kick into the top corner. The hosts endured a shaky first half, but nevertheless managed to equalise on the quarter hour when Wyn Thomas lofted a ball back into the box and Mark Jones ended a dry spell by heading home his third goal of the season. However, eight minutes later another Craig Williams free kick, this time from the right side, was headed home by Andy Jones and the Robins were 2-1 up. Jones then sent up Chris Venables who danced into space before firing over, and in a high tempo game Jones saw a piledriver pushed wide, before Venables had a header cleared off the line. Mike Lewis made a brilliant pioint blank save to deny Andy Jones, and then Luke Boundford headed Matthew Hearsey’s left wing cross just wide, before the half time whistle blew.

Jamie Butler scored a debut goal for Aber

Jamie Butler scored a debut goal for Aber

As the second half progressed it was clear that the game was on a knife edge, and the next goal would prove absolutely crucial. Venables again headed inches wide, before hobbling off to be replaced by young Jamie Butler in midfield, and the youngster from Llanon took only three minutes to make an unforgettable mark by scoring an astonishing left footed screamer from the edge of the area which hauled the hosts back into the game. Geoff Kellaway fired just wide for Aber, but then disaster struck as a Craig Williams free kick once again caused consternation at the back and Tom Goodwin pounced to give Newtown the lead for the third time, on 69 minutes. Mark Jones and Bari Morgan both went down with injuries but the Black and Greens kept plugging away, with Butler once again testing debutant John Rushton’s gloves.

Then, in the first minute of injury time an extended period of pressure finally paid off as Kellaway’s ball in was parried into his own net by Rushton for 3-3, and the Dias Stand had once again sucked in a vital equaliser for Aber.