Newtown 644


2 - 1

Prestatyn Town

Newtown v
Prestatyn Town

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 5 Oct 2013
at Latham Park, Newtown
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 296

Referee: Iwan Griffith

Successive Win for Robins thanks to Matt Finish

Matthew Hearsey scored the Winner

Matthew Hearsey scored the Winner

First half strikes from Craig Williams and Matthew Hearsey saw Newtown record back to back wins today as they beat Prestatyn Town 2-1 at Latham Park.

Against the run of play Lee Hunt scored a superb overhead kick, but Williams replied with a free kick, and then Hearsey scored right on half time, and that ended up being the winner.

Prestatyn showed pressure in the second half, but the dismissal of Gareth Wilson turned the game as Newtown held on for the points. The hosts enjoyed a lot of good early possession but it took until the 18th minute for either side to create an opening.

And it was a clear cut chance for Sean Evans, as he sprung the offside trap to latch onto Matthew Hearsey’s pass but former Robin Dave Roberts was equal to it. Prestatyn were looking shaky at the back and it nearly showed again as Andy Jones ran down a lost cause and fired a cross across the box, causing confusion for Roberts and his defence.

Lee Hunt then threatened with the visitors first chance but his tame header was gathered by Chris Mullock. Michael Parker had a penalty shout for the visitors turned away before Hearsey tested Roberts with a low shot as the game was becoming very open.

But against the run of play the seasiders took the lead in fantastic fashion as Hunt latched onto a cross from the right and thundered a volley into Mullock’s top right corner to give the keeper no chance.

But moments later Newtown created some brilliance of their own as Craig Williams whipped a free kick over the wall and straight past the motionless Roberts to draw the Robins level.

Newtown were troubling the visitors with crosses, and good link up play in midfield, something that they have lacked in previous home games this term. Zach Evans, Sean Evans and Jones then linked up well and Evans again troubled Roberts with a cross as Newtown were taking a hold on the game.

And just on half time Newtown got their just reward. Cook found Hearsey out wide who calmly cut inside and hit a shot across the box taking a deflection off Sean Hessey and nestling in the corner.

There was time for a Prestatyn scare, but from a corner Andy Parkinson smashed his shot into the stantion, to leave the Robins with a deserved lead at the break.

Newtown were under the cosh at the start of the second half with Gareth Wilson producing a teasing cross to put the Robins backline under pressure. A succession of corners nearly led to a seasiders equaliser as Gibson saw his corner headed towards goal by Greg Stones, but Mullock dived away to his right to deny Stones.

From the resulting corner Prestatyn were incensed as their penalty shout for a handball by Shane Sutton was waved away. Hunt then had a header saved by Mullock was it was the seasiders who looked more likely to find the net.

But they then suffered a set back as Wilson was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence and the Robins started to come back into the game.

And they thought they had got themselves further in front soon after as Luke Boundford went down the wing and nipped the ball past Roberts and as Andy Jones looked to have put the ball away, Hessey got a toe in to clear it.

Mullock made another good stop to keep out the visitors on 90 minutes as Prestatyn were keeping Newtown penned in despite a man advantage. The seasiders pumped another ball into the Robins box but a Greg Stones header came to nothing, as Newtown were keeping their counterparts at bay.

But the Robins held on against last seasons Welsh Cup winners to put to bed any of the questions surrounding their home form. And it was a second successive win for the Robins moving them level on points with Prestatyn.