Carmarthen Town 791


3 - 3

Gap Connahs Quay

Carmarthen Town v
Gap Connahs Quay

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 5 Oct 2013
at Richmond Park, Carmarthen
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 285

Referee: Bryn Markham-Jones

Point apiece in Old Gold Thriller

A mild afternoon in Camarthen played host to a three all thriller draw between the Nomads and Camarthen Town. First half goals from Danny Forde and a brace from Gary O'Toole gave the away side a 3-0 lead at half time but the Old Gold struck back in the second half with goals from Fowler, Thomas and Doidge.

Gary O'Toole (red) takes on Kris Thomas

Gary O'Toole (red) takes on Kris Thomas

The Nomads opened the game with a disappointment through injury, as Michael Robinson was forced to limp off the field to be replaced by Jamie Wynne. A minute later, The Nomads' fortune changed dramatically with Danny Forde scoring a great individual goal, going on the inside of a Carmarthen defender on the ring wing to send the ball into the bottom right corner in the fifth minute.

The Nomads appeared to have surprised the Old Gold with the home players looking unsettled and struggling to contain a lively and attacking Nomads side. This attacking style continued when Michael Hayes broke out on a run but was brought down in the box, prompting the referee to send off Carl Evans for the foul and award a penalty. Gary O Toole stepped up and slotted the ball to the right of the keeper, sealing a 2-0 dream start for the visiting Nomads.

Although The Nomads were the dominant team at this point, Camarthen continued to attack with clear chances missed from the likes of Christian Doidge. A yellow card was then shown for Danny Desormeaux, for a challenge on Christian Doidge. Shortly a after, as half time approached, Gary O Toole went on a run down the right wing and slotted it past the keepers near post, confirming his fifth goal in just three league games for The Nomads.

At half the time the score line was a delight for Nomads, but with 45 minutes still to play, The Nomads still had a job to do with Carmarthen down but certainly not out yet.

The second half started with the fast pace that was typical of the game throughout. Michael Hayes was unlucky not to send The Nomads four goals up when his shot hit the post on 47 minutes played. Carmarthen maintained the pressure they were inflicting on the Nomads with an opportunity missed by Kyle Bassett. Nomads then made their second substitution of the game with an injured O'Toole coming off the for academy product.

The teams were brought to ten men a side by referee Bryn Markham-Jones who showed a straight red to Jack Rowlands for a tackling challenge. This was a blow for Nomads and especially Rowlands who had been enjoying a great individual performance. This boost to the home side was effective when Paul Fowler hit home on 70 minutes, triggering the old gold come back.

A few minutes later, a rejuvenated Carmarthen scored once again, Liam Thomas making it 3-2 on 73 minutes. This goal brought the game into a tense finishing period as the Nomads looked to hold on for three points.

The heat was on, Carmarthen rapidly chasing up towards the nomads goalmouth. Missed chances were galore for the home side, who has three or four good chances to seal their comeback and rescue a point from the game. The effort of Nomads can be seen from the tally of injuries in this game as Forde was forced to leave the field to make way for Shaun Tinsley.

To add more drama, popular Welsh Premier League face Cortez Belle was shown a red card for a challenge on Craig Jones, which made yet another injury for Nomads.

To Nomads disappointment, Carmarthen scored their third a couple of minutes into injury time when Christian Doidge headed the ball high past McCormick and into the goal.