Aberystwyth Town 785


3 - 3

Gap Connahs Quay

Aberystwyth Town v
Gap Connahs Quay

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 21st Sept 2013
at Park Avenue, Aberystwyth
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 307

Referee: Dean John

O'Toole strikes hammer blow for Nomads

Gary O'Toole scored twice on his return

Gary O'Toole scored twice on his return

Connah’s Quay staged a dramatic late comeback to gain a deserved point at Park Avenue yesterday, and although the Black and Greens were disappointed to let a two goal lead slip, results elsewhere mean that the draw keeps Aber in the Top Four.

Manager Ian Hughes named an unchanged team, and the teams ran out through a parade of banners displayed by pupils of Ysgol Gymraeg, who were guests at Park Avenue for the day. The hosts dominated the first half: Craig Williams’ cross from the left was gathered by visiting keeper Terry McCormick, then Geoff Kellaway’s dangerous right wing cross fell to Antonio Corbisiero, whose shot was blocked. The visitors were looking dangerous on the break however, and Aber were indebted to Cledan Davies, who cleared Michael Hayes’s shot off the line at the other end. Then in the 20th minute Davies’s miscued shot fell kindly for Craig Williams, who buried the ball at the second attempt to give Aber the lead. Williams was then inches away from scoring a second, Peter Hoy headed wide from close range, Mark Jones went very close from another Kellaway cross, and Cledan Davies caused great excitement by firing a great shot from distance narrowly wide. Although Michael Robinson headed wide from a free kick for Gap, Aber had dominated the first half and went in deservedly a goal to the good.

Thirty three seconds into the second half the game seemed won. Jones almost converted Williams’ cross, but then Chris Venables headed home Corbisiero’s corner for 2-0. Credit the visitors though for fighting back well, and six minutes later Paul Mooney’s left wing cross was jabbed home by Gary O’Toole. Mike Lewis had to deny Danny Forde as Gap pressed forward, but then on 62 minutes Venables’ right wing cross was headed into his own net by Forde, to restore Aber’s two goal lead. Connah’s Quay kept coming though, and Lewis again had to save down at his near post from Mike Hayes. Then with sixteen minutes to go, Hayes' shot was parried and Forde tapped in from close range. Wyn Thomas and Venables both went close for Town, but then with seven minutes remaining Bari Morgan fouled Hayes in the box, and O’Toole buried his second, and Gap’s third, from the penalty spot. There was still time for Venables to hit the bar with a header from Kellaway’s deep cross, but in truth the visitors were good value for a draw, and the game ended 3-3.