Gap Connahs Quay 602


1 - 2

Aberystwyth Town

Gap Connahs Quay v
Aberystwyth Town

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 15 Sept 2012
at Deeside Stadium, Connahs Quay
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 124

Referee: Lee Evans

Seasiders Seal first Win of the Season

Matty Collins scored the opener

Matty Collins scored the opener

Aberystwyth Town today sealed their first win of the season, in an excellent away win at in form GAP Connah's Quay

The start couldn't have been any better for the Seasiders, who took the lead in the third minute, as the ball broke to Matty Collins and his low powerful shot well beat Connah's Quay keeper John Rushton.

Frontman Glyndwr Hughes, starting his first league game of the season, was causing the Connah's Quay defence problems, and in the fifteenth minute, 'Paddy' was brought down in the area by Michael Robinson, and referee Lee Evans had no option but to award a penalty. Jordan Follows stepped up andd buried the ball to make it 2-0.

Aberystwyth's shape during the first haf was stopping most of Connah's Quay's threats, with Stuart Jones and Wyn Thomas, rocks at the back, making ex-Aber favourite Ricky Evans work hard to even get the ball. GAP had a couple of half chances late in the first half, but it was Aber who ended on top, as Josh MacAuley was brought down on the edge of the area, but Cledan Davies's free kick was shot straight into the wall.

Connah's Quay thought they had the perfect start to the second half of the game, as the ball fell into the back of the Aber net in thee first couple of minutes, however keeper James Wood had been bundled into the net by Ricky Evans. Connah's Quay were the brighter of the two sides at the sstart of the second half, but were restricted to long shots. In the 63rd minute though top marksman Gary O'Toole unleashed a terrific strike at the Aber goal which James Wood reacted to with a 'worldy' save, to the delight of the whole Aber team.

This seemed to spur Aber on, and soon after, Adam Worton struck from long distance. Glyndwr was still causing the Quay defence problems, and his header into Jordan Follows could have killed the game off. Ass the game started to reach the closing stages, Connah's Quay were pressing to keep the game alive, but it was Aberystwyth who had the best chance, Gavin Cadwallader playing in Josh MacAuley with a header, with Josh one on one with the keeper but Josh was denied by a great save. GAP Captain Craig Jones was sent off for an attempted headbutt on Gavin Cadwallader in the 91st minute, and Jamie Petrie scored a screamer of a volley in the dying moments, but it was all too little too late.