Aberystwyth Town 785


0 - 0

Bangor City

Aberystwyth Town v
Bangor City

Kick off:19:30 Tuesday, 4 Sept 2012
at Park Avenue, Aberystwyth
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 348

Referee: Bryn Markham-Jones

Brewerton sees Red in Park Avenue Stalemate

Jamie Brewerton saw red

Jamie Brewerton saw red

Aberystwyth Town regained their pride with a vastly improved defensive performance, which earned a home draw against last year's League Runners Up Bangor City, who saw red after James Brewerton's controversial sending off.

Following Saturday's 7-1 humiliation at Nantporth, Black and Greens' Manager Tomi Morgan made two changes to the side, bringing in defender Sion James for Liam James - who dropped to the bench - and promising midfielder Rhydian Davies for the injured Declan Carroll. Neville Powell made one change for the visitors, with Dave Morley replacing the absent Craig Garside in central midfield.

In a first half of few real chances, Bangor dominated posession for long periods, without really causing the home side too many problems. The excellent Ryan Edwards had a shot from 20 yards which went narrowly over the top, and Les Davies headed a Chris Simm cross wide - but the home side were working hard to close Bangor down in dangerous areas. As the half wore on Aber saw more of the ball and in fact created the best chance of the half when Jordan Follows disposessed Michael Johnson, and his shot was cleared off the line by Ryan Edwards. However the goal less scoreline at the break was a fair reflection of a fairly uneventful half.

The second half continued in a similar vein, as a tight game of few chances with defences on top, and James Wood secure in goal for the Black and Greens. Bangor pressure saw Liam Brownhill's shot parried for a corner, and then good link up play between Aber's Jordan Follows and Josh Macauley saw Idzi parry a home chance wide. Les Davies shot just over, under pressure from Stuart Jones, and then in the 84th minute Brewerton went in for a tackle with Aber sub Glyndwr Hughes, and was shown a straight red card which looked a little harsh. The Black and Greens had a great opportunity to win the game with an injury time breakaway, but Macauley narrowly missed the target, and the game ended in a draw which, given the circumstances, is a very respectable result for Aberystwyth Town FC.