Carmarthen Town AFC 791


2 - 2

Haverfordwest County FC

Carmarthen Town AFC v
Haverfordwest County FC

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 17 Sept 2010
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 556

Referee: Brian James

Old Gold Thank Evans for Late Equaliser

With both clubs on equal points at the lower end of the table Neil Thomas' 88th minute strike looked to have won the tie for the Bluebirds. But with Town showing considerable character to maintain a late surge in search of an equaliser it was Andy Evans' left footed strike in the third minute of injury time that gained Town a share of the spoils, the first home point of the season.

With relatively few adjustments to the line ups Morgan showed faith in his young squad, following last week's drubbing, by naming an unchanged squad. And in a bright and finely balanced opening Danny Thomas and Tom Ramasut combined well to open up Town's defence on eight minutes and Ramasut was again the provider minutes later with Lee Hudgell blasting over.

Sacha Walters spearheaded Town's thrust with some strong runs and an interesting mid-field tussle developed with Geraint Passmore influential for Town and Neil Thomas playing wide and clever in possession for the visitors. But it was the Bluebirds who broke the deadlock on 26 minutes with Jack Christopher flicking on cleverly for Danny Thomas to slot the ball under keeper Mike Lewis in a one-on-one.

Following the half hour Thomas again broke the cover but without reward and with Walters penetrating the Bluebirds defence and Darran Griffiths persistent up front there was action at both ends. Then with three minutes of the half remaining Town levelled in some style. A flowing move saw Griffith's get to the by-line to cross in superbly for Nick Harrhy to power home with a flying header.

Following the break Neil Thomas' came close to putting the visitors ahead for the second time with a couple of dangerous headers. But with both sides having periods of dominance it took a double save from Lee Idzi to deny Harrhy and then Griffiths as Town flooded the Bluebirds penalty area. On the hour, with Griffiths winning posession, Walters' delivery just lacked a final touch.

Mark Dodds' header back into Town's box following Mattie Collins' free kick needed some desperate defending before Chris O'Sullivan replaced Ramasut for the Bluebirds and Neil Thomas took up a more pivotal role, his 73rd minute header flashing just wide of the mark. At the other end Walters did well to get behind the visiting defence only for Griffiths to dig his shot wide with a quarter hour remaining.

But with Haverfordwest dominating Christopher's dipping header was touched over by Lewis before Thomas finally put Haverfordwest ahead. With Town struggling to clear a free kick from the edge of the box the experienced midfielder netted a seeming winner from ten yards with two minutes remaining.

With the Fourth Official signalling four minutes of added time Town pushed everyone forward. Lee Phillips pumped in a series of balls and Craig Frater chased everything. Lewis cleared up field and with Kieran Howard helping the ball on with a neat lob the Bluebirds appealing the offside. But with Evans striking low beyond Idzi with literally the last kick of the game Town had some reward for their considerable spirit and character.