Bangor City 788


4 - 0

Prestatyn Town

Bangor City v
Prestatyn Town

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 23rd Oct 2009
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 588

Referee: Carmelo Lo Faro

Bangor City run riot to end Prestatyn Town run

RAMPANT Bangor ended fourth-placed Prestatyn's eight-match unbeaten run in some style at Farrar Road with a four-goal victory which should have been more emphatic.

Bangor were on song from the start and threatened on three occasions before taking a 16th-minute lead when Mark Smythe played a short free-kick to Marc Limbert, who ran across the Prestatyn defence and scored with a right-foot cracker from 20 yards. Seconds later, it was 2-0 when Chris Sharp rose in the box to meet a Sion Edwards cross and Jamie Reed pounced to fire home the loose ball.

Sharp almost added a third when he latched onto a ball from midfield but his lob over Seasiders keeper Matt Towns just missed the target. Prestatyn then had a promising spell where a Steve Rogers header from a Jack Lewis corner was well saved by Paul Smith, then Michael Parker was only denied a goal by a last-gasp block.

City took a firm hold on proceedings when Sharp broke clear down the right and his pinpoint centre left Edwards with an easy 39th-minute finish. Bangor continued to create the majority of scoring chances in the second half. Edwards lashed into the side netting before Reed hit a right-foot screamer inches over.

Limbert's alertness put him in on goal but he chipped over then Sharp could only find the side netting before missing a golden chance with his head. In a rare Prestatyn attack Smith did well to keep out a Gareth Wilson piledriver but at the other end City continued to fluff great openings, Sharp being denied by Towns from a shot on the turn before sub Ashley Stott drilled wide when well placed.

Town fluffed a gilt-edged opportunity to get one back when Parker blazed over with the goal at his mercy following good work from substitute Steve Harris. This was Bangor's night, though, and Sharp notched a well-deserved goal when he headed in from close range five minutes from time.