Rhyl FC 704


4 - 1

Bangor City

Rhyl FC v
Bangor City

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 13 Mar 2009
at Belle Vue
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 1546

Referee: Ceri Richards

Owen Inspires Lilywhites to Foursome Win

<1r>Rhyl made it eleven straight wins with a 4-1 triumph over North Wales rivals Bangor City in front of over 1,500 spectators at Belle Vue on Friday evening.

The League Leaders were inspired by 37-year old midfielder Gareth Owen, who once again pulled the strings from midfield. The result could have been so different though, had Bangor winger Sion Edwards converted a penalty midway through the second-half with the score 2-1 to Rhyl and the match very much in the balance.

However, the Wales Under 23 Semi-Pro International ballooned his effort well over the bar and the miss inspired Rhyl to go on and score two further goals.

The hosts took the lead on 32 minutes through Jamie Reed, who latched onto a long-ball from the impressive Chris Roberts. The striker beat the offside trap and used his strength to pull away from Michael Johnston before finishing with aplomb into the far corner. The Citizens were level just six minutes later though and the strike from skipper Marc Limbert was as good as any you will see at any level. Rhyl failed to clear their lines from a Bangor free-kick and Limbert volleyed with the outside of the right boot from outside the box and straight into the top corner.

Owen ensured that the hosts went in at the break with the lead when he was given space and time in the box from a corner to volley passed Paul Smith in the Bangor goal.

After the break, Reed hit the post just before Bangor lost skipper Marc Limbert through injury and less than a minute later referee Ceri Richards awarded a Bangor penalty following advice from his Assistant Alun Boore for a handball. Both Limbert and Christian Seargeant have missed penalties this season for the Citizens, so Edwards stepped up, but his effort was really poor and Rhyl grabbed the upper hand.

Ex-Rhyl 'keeper Paul Smith made a huge error with a poor clearance on 73 minutes, the ball went straight to Neil Roberts who ran in on goal, before firing an unstoppable bullet passed the hapless Smith. With eight minutes remaining a delighful exchange from Chris Roberts and the instrumental Owen created a fourth for the home side, with George Horan on hand to score from eight yards.

The win leaves Rhyl ten points clear at the top of the Table, with second-placed Llanelli playing Caernarfon Town on Saturday. Reds' Manager Peter Nicholas and coach Terry Lewis were both interested spectators at Belle Vue, and they could only be impressed with the way in which Allan Bickerstaff's side extended their lead.