Bangor City 788


3 - 2

Connah's Quay Nomads

Bangor City v
Connah's Quay Nomads

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 15 Mar 2008
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 365

Referee: Simon Jones

Four wins in a row for City

Nev Powell's Bangor made it four wins out of four against the managers old club - but it was a close call in a mud-spattered slog that produced seven bookings. Having notched 3-0, 4-0 and 7-0 victories in their earlier clashes, they had looked on course for another big win at 2-0 up early in the second half, but Nomads were having none of it as they fought back to level. Their two goals in four minutes set up a storming finale, in which Bangor produced Karl Noon's decider on 73 minutes, although Connah's Quay protested that an offside decision should have been given.

City had virtually parked in Nomads' territory in the opening half hour for no reward, although Noon twice, Sion Edwards and Ashley Stott made good offerings. The goal that set the Farrar Road hosts on the way was hit by Edwards on 33 minutes, a low 15-yarder from an angle on the left, after he turned his marker, Tommy Baker.

Then, with half time due, the home keeper Paul Smith - appearing against his former club - excelled with a superb double save to deny Nomads' Danny Forde, following a corner. Bangor came close seconds later when Edwards swept over a low corner from the right flank, only to find the near post. City's second goal came from Stott on 52 minutes with a close-range prod, after Paul Pritchard had parried a fierce drive from Chris Seargeant.

Nomads threw caution to the wind and gained their two reply goals on 57 and 61 minutes, both created by Sam McNutt. First Chris Herbert knocked home Smith's parry and then Forde turned in a cross-field pass. It was all up for grabs after that and Nomads should have secured the lead on 72 minutes, when a slick four-man raid set up McNutt at eight yards but he blazed over the target.

The Deesiders paid for that woeful miss, because Bangor broke at speed for Noon to pursue a long ball, with defenders looking for the offside flag, and the striker coolly side-footed the winner past Pritchard.