NEWI Cefn Druids 794


1 - 1

CPD Porthmadog

NEWI Cefn Druids v
CPD Porthmadog

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 8 Feb 2008
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 166

Referee: Brian James

Druids and Porth share spoils at Plaskynaston

TWO goals in a minute ensured that the spoils were shared at Plaskynaston as Porthmadog thwarted Druids' plans to pull further away from the bottom two. Kevin Holsgrove opened the scoring for The Ancients in the 41st minute, but Marcus Orlik levelled for the visitors less than a minute later.

Holsgrove capitalised on a slice of good fortune when Porthmadog goalkeeper Richard Harvey spilled Waynne Phillips' right wing cross, and the midfielder was quickest to the loose ball and sidestepped the keeper to slot home.

The lead lasted a total of 51 seconds as a long throw from the right caused problems in the home defence and Orlik capitalised and fired into the top right hand corner of the net.

Druids had created more openings than their struggling opponents, but were unable to capitalise as chances went begging. It was Porthmadog, though, who had the first chance in the seventh minute when Mullock did well to get down to tip Orlik's low free kick behind.

At the other end Mike Heverin was off target after he was able to turn and shoot in the 11th minute. Druids did come close to scoring after quarter of an hour when Geraint Lewis' drive was deflected behind. From the resulting corner Dan Barnett was denied a first goal for the club when his header was cleared off the line.

The pressure continued on the Porthmadog goal but Harvey was off his line quick enough to deny Heverin who had sprung the offside trap to be one on one with the 'keeper. Harvey again denied Heverin in the 35th minute when he did well to tip the striker's placed header around the post following good work from Chris McGinn.

Then, a minute after the sides exchanged goals, Druids came close to regaining the lead when Holsgrove cut in from the left and pulled the ball back to McGinn who laid-off to Lewis, but the midfielder fired over. Porthmadog almost made Druids pay for the miss a minute before the break when Paul Roberts found himself in space on the right edge of the box and his shot across goal went narrowly wide of the far post with Mullock rooted to his spot.

With 20 minutes remaining McGinn played in a good ball from the right allowing Karl Connolly to chest down to Lewis but he again fired over the bar. The night continued to be one of frustration for Heverin as he once again sprung the offside trap in the 72nd minute, but the ball slowed up and failed to reach him and then, with six minutes remaining, he was through on goal, but the ball got held up under his feet allowing the defence to recover and clear the danger.

Druids' only other half chance fell to Phillips ten minutes from the end when he broke into the box before firing over from a narrow angle.