Carmarthen Town AFC 791


2 - 1

Newtown AFC

Carmarthen Town AFC v
Newtown AFC

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 19 Jan 2008
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 333

Referee: Darren Adie

Danny's the Champion for the Gold

In a sensational start Newtown keeper Ian Harvard was red carded after he brought down down Town's Danny Thomas on the edge of the box. With the visitors withstanding considerable pressure they broke from deep and having forced a corner the resulting set piece sailed over Neil Thomas' head to Craig Moses who chested the ball in for the Robins to grab an opener against the run of play on 12 minutes.

With Damien Daniels taking over the gloves Worton dropped back to left back. Newtown pressed forward and could have extended the lead. Moses was put clear but chipped the keeper and the bar and just after the twenty minute mark Tommy Mutton beat the off side trap but his cross just eluded Moses.

On the half hour Paul Keddle's curling free kick went just over but Moses should have done better when he fired into the side netting having broken free. As half time approached Town made ground down both flanks and with three minutes remaining Keddle broke well down the left and his pin point cross was headed home by Coombes to make it all square at the break.

Town dominated the second period but the stand in keeper had an outstanding afternoon when he held Coombes' cross well and a minute later denied Hicks with his feet. On 58' Newtown lost the lively Moses through injury and shortly after Town netted the winner. Cattlin won the ball in midfield and having squared to Hicks his screamer from outside the box rocked the bar but with Danny Thomas the first to react he netted the rebound 62 minutes.

With 20 minutes remaining Town found themselves under presure as the Robins forced a series of corners from both sides. But with the visitors tiring it took a brilliant covering tackle from Craig Williams to deny Hicks and another impressive stop from Daniels to win the one on one with Fowler, after the midfielder had broken through. Right at the death Neil Thomas saved with his feet in a goal mouth scramble to ensure that Town got back on track after an indifferent period.