Bangor City 788


2 - 0

CPD Porthmadog

Bangor City v
CPD Porthmadog

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 27 Oct 2007
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 497

Referee: Ceri Richards

Two late Bangor Goals break Port Hearts

Gareth Williams reports;

When you're on a losing run and your luck is out then simply everything seems to go against you. That is the way Porthmadog felt at the end of a game which they lost to goals scored in the 90th and the 92nd minutes. A battling performance proved to be not enough to squeeze, what would have been, an invaluable point from the game.

With a strong wind at their backs Porthmadog had the better of the opening half threatening the home goal from the start. In the first minute a Gareth Parry free kick created an opening for John Gwynfor Jones but the full back lifted a 16 yard effort over the bar. Carl Owen then came close with a header and in the 9th minute it was John Gwynfor again, this time having a powerful strike touched on to the post by Paul Smith. Soon after Smith failed to hold Paul Roberts' shot on the turn but the home defence scrambled the ball away.

Porthmadog continued to look the most likely to score and Smith was again in action after 15 minutes diving to gather the ball at Carl Owen's feet. Apart from an early corner it was past the twenty minute mark before the home side really threatened and Stott was off target when well placed. A Sergeant free kick created an opening for Mike Walsh but the Bangor forward's header flew outside the upright. Gareth Parry and Warren Beattie both found space around the edge of the area but Smith was not too troubled by the shots. Gareth Parry was also unlucky to see his quick free kick curl narrowly outside the upright. Walsh for Bangor should have done better with a dangerous Sion Edwards cross to the far post. Port were, however, left to rue their lack of a goal in a first half where they were the better side. Danger man Les Davies had been well marshalled by Rhys Roberts and had only managed one of his trademark runs winning a free kick on the edge of the box.

The second half was a different story with the home side using the stiff wind at their backs to put Porthmadog under the cosh for long periods. Four minutes into the second period Richard Harvey had to push Martin Beattie's powerful shot over the bar. Bangor continued to pressurise the Port defence and Edwards's corner on 54 minutes proved to be the first of six in quick succession and twice John Gwynfor had make goal line clearances to keep the scores level. Port were not entirely out of the game however and the home defence were relieved to see Paul Roberts dangerous cross cleared for a corner. Bangor became increasingly desperate in their search for a winner and Stott received a yellow card for an extravagant dive in the box. Soon after Harvey rushed out to block Stott's effort as he ran on to Walsh's xcellent through ball and Swanick headed wide from a corner. Just when it seemed that Port had held out for a point Bangor won yet another corner but S4C highlights strongly suggest that Swanick's lofted shot did not take a deflection and the 90th minute corner that should not have been went on to strike Warren Beattie on the shoulder and fly past Harvey into the net. This was hardly the reward Beattie deserved for another staunch performance in midfield. Bangor then scored an added time second against a stretched visitors defence via an excellent Limbert through ball and a cool Stott finish. Ironically all this could have been academic had Iwan Tomos's 87th minute shot not taken a deflection as he thumped Carl Owen's astute pass goal wards.