Aberystwyth Town 785


0 - 2

Bangor City

Aberystwyth Town v
Bangor City

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 3rd Mar 2007
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 252

Referee: Darren Adie

Bleasdale's Bangor make it four on the Bounce

<1>On a bright and sunny day in Aberystwyth the home side went into the game on a 2 match unbeaten run after going a month without a game, but Bangor were the form team of the two, having won 3 of 3 before this game, and 2 on the road.

The game started brightly, Aber having most of the early pressure, but where they looked to set the tone, they found giant Bangor 'keeper Ian Havard in good form, the keeper making easy work of several early Aber corners, and also making a smart tip-over from a cheeky Bari Morgan chip. Aber seemed wasteful when they got the ball around the 18-yard box though, preferring to run away from goal instead of taking possible shots, and this proved to be their downfall in the afternoon's play, not taking their chances. Bangor too had their chances, a fantastic triple save from Richard Morgan in goal, firstly from former Aber hitman Marc Lloyd-Williams, then Ashley Stott, before Lloyd Williams somehow impossibly seeing his second shot blocked by the commanding figure of Morgan, to the applause of the Dias faithful.

The first half was marred by an injury to Aber's Craig Jones, the jinking winger was brought down around the half hour mark and despite a marvellous effort to try and shake off the injury, he had to come off to be replaced by Andy Evans, making his first appearance since his injury.

<1r>The second half began with Bangor kicking into the sun, but it didn't seem to hinder them, again though, with the early pressure it was Aber, and again they forced some early corners, but to no avail. It was, in fact an Aber corner which broke down to hand Bangor their first goal, against the run of play, captain and Man of the Match Paul O'Neill's long ball was held up by Lloyd-Williams, who twisted and turned the Aber defence, before playing a through ball to Mike Walsh, whose snapshot on the turn stung the palms of Morgan in goal, and the parry came out to the feet of Ashley Stott, who shot beyond the despairing dive of Morgan, to make it 1-0 to Bangor.

Aber poured the forward and evidently were hit on the break, Bangor unlucky not to make it two-nil when Lloyd Williams saw his low shot well held by Morgan. Two free-kicks in promising areas were then wasted by Aber, first Luke Sherbon's wickedly dipping free-kick was just over the bar, and then a thunderous shot from Aneurin Thomas from virtually the same spot curved just wide of the left-hand post. Again though, Aber were caught on the break, and Mark Smyth's mazy run past 3 Aber defenders was finally stopped by Christian Edwards, but his sliding tackle fed the ball to a pouncing Marco Adaggio, and the former Shrewsbury youth teamer did his job and tapped the ball into the gaping goal for 2-0.

There was still time though for Aber to win a penalty but Luke Sherbon's effort straight down the middle was easily saved by Bangor 'keeper Ian Havard.