Newtown AFC 644


0 - 0

CPD Porthmadog

Newtown AFC v
CPD Porthmadog

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 27 Jan 2007
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 205

Referee: Kevin Parry

No goals and few thrills as Robins hold Porth

A goalless draw says it all. This was a game which both sides should have targeted for a potential three points but as it turned out it was one of the poorest games of the season lacking in ideas and goalmouth thrills. Tactically, visiting supporters were left mystified as two of their leading scorers were left on the bench with Carl Owen up front as a lone striker. It wasn't until he was joined up front by Les Davies, with an hour gone, that Porthmadog showed any real threat on goal.

The early play belonged to the visitors with Newtown rarely getting out of their own half in the first quarter of an hour but Port created few chances. Early on Carl Owen, relying on players breaking from midfield for support, chipped a shot over the keeper but the ball ran wide of the post and Gareth Parry fired over the bar from Carl Owen's downward header. A couple of chances, one at either end, after 20 minutes saw Richard Harvey save well at his near post when Matt Lewis for Newtown was put through and Carl Owen failed to get enough on a good near post cross by Danny Hughes for the visitors. Near the half hour mark Brian Snowdery fired into the side netting following Glen Tolley's corner. A minute later Harvey pulled off a good save to deny Rob Williams. Then just before half-time Rhys Roberts fired over the bar from distance. A half which lacked creativity and punctured by inaccurate passing ended with neither side deserving to be ahead.

The second half continued in the same vein but after 59 minutes Butler, for Newtown, set up the first clear chance of the game with a cross field pass which freed Dale Raven on the right of the box but the shot was wayward. Ten minutes later and Butler himself was guilty of a poor finish when well placed 15 yards out. With only 15 minutes left Port at last raised their game and Carl Owen was unlucky when his low shot struck the foot of the upright. Les Davies and Gareth Caughter then combined well to create a good opening for Gareth Parry but the midfielder's low shot went narrowly the wrong side of the post. With pressure mounting on the home goal keeper David Jones did well to beat out Les Davies's powerful shot and then threw himself to block Gareth Caughter's strike from the rebound. Les Davies's injury time shot past the post following Danny Hughes's downward header proved to the game's final act.