Airbus UK FC 686


0 - 1

NEWI Cefn Druids

Airbus UK FC v
NEWI Cefn Druids

Kick off:14:30 Monday, 1st Jan 2007
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 176

Referee: Mike Jones

Roberts sneaks only goal for Druids Festive Double

NEWI Cefn Druids completed a festive double over near-neighbours Airbus UK to move further away from the relegation zone as Gareth Roberts netted the only goal of the game.

The goal came in the 17th minute in what was Druids' first real attack of the game. Alex Hughes' cross field ball found Roberts out on the right, allowing him to continue forward while edging further infield. As home 'keeper Adam McGhee advanced to narrow the angle, but Roberts calmly slotted the ball under him and into the net.

However it was the hosts who adapted to the heavy conditions quicker as they started the brighter. Dave Hughes' low cross in the second minute from the right could have caused serious problems for the Druids defence, but there was nobody in a blue shirt on hand to connect.

Airbus had a golden chance to equalise on 33 minutes when a cross from the right eluded James Taylor, who started in place of the 'flu suffering Aled Rowlands, allowing former Druid, Darren Williams the chance to place his volley from eight yards out, only to be denied by a fine instinctive save by Carl Edwards.

Two minutes later Airbus could have been down to ten men when former Druids defender Mark Allen pushed Mike Heverin after the striker slightly collided with McGhee as both went for the ball. Allen and Heverin both received yellow, with the defender perhaps fortunate not to see red. Meanwhile, at the other end Allen's header forced Edwards into another save

After the break Adam Hunter headed over against his old club before Roberts again received a cross field pass to close in on goal. This time, though, his effort was hurried and the ball went beyond the far post with McGhee beaten. McGhee was called into action again, this time saving well from Heverin's volley from ten yards out, despite The Ancients' leading scorer appearing to be in an offside position.

Airbus missed another great chance to equalise midway through the second half when Hughes lobbed Edwards, but watched his effort go just wide of the far post. Ten minutes from time Jones wasted a great chance to kill off the game for Druids, but he shot wide when he could have perhaps done better.

Airbus were reduced to ten men two minutes from time when Allen was sent off for pulling back Heverin, who had turned him. As the last man, the referee had no other option but to send off the defender, allowing Druids to make the numbers count to see out the conclusion of the game.