NEWI Cefn Druids 794


0 - 3

Bangor City

NEWI Cefn Druids v
Bangor City

Kick off:19:30 Tuesday, 6 Feb 2007
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 153

Referee: Andrew Richards

Citizens cruise to win at the Druids

<1>Bangor City enjoyed a comfortable win on Tuesday evening against NEWI Cefn Druids at Plaskynaston to register their first League victory since the Boxing Day trip to Caernarfon. It meant that the Druids' hopes of consolidating their current top 12 position took a dent on a cold evening in Cefn Mawr.

Citizens boss Steve Bleasdale handed a debut to midfielder James Scales, signed last week from Colwyn Bay and Kieran Killackey returned after a lengthy absence and it was goals from Ashley Stott, Steve Wynne and Mark Smyth that meant the Citizens were able to pull further away from the hosts in the league table.

It was the visitors who seemed to have more of a sense of urgency and aggression to them throughout the match and they were able to make that count. They could have opened the scoring in the first minute when Kevin Scott's long throw-in gave Stott a free header inside the box, but his effort went over.

Scott, who played for Druids in two separate spells, continued to pose questions of the home defence with his long throws as Lee Webber and Kieran Killackey both headed over from them in the opening ten minutes. Ian Havard in the City goal remained untroubled throughout the match as the best Druids could muster as an attacking force failed to hit the target.

After 15 minutes, Steve Watkin put Alex Hughes through and while the young midfielder made the right choice in shooting first time, his effort was tame and went well wide of the post. Three minutes later Watkin himself had an attempt.

With his back to goal the striker was able to control the ball and turn, but his shot again went harmlessly wide of Havard's goal. Although Bangor had looked more threatening throughout the first period, they also failed to trouble Carl Edwards in the home goal.

That was until stoppage time at the end of the first half. Stott got the ball on the left and was able to shrug off the challenge of Osian Jones before getting the better of James Taylor, allowing him a clear sight of goal, from which he made no mistake to open the scoring.

Stott again did the damage for the second goal on 69 minutes. This time he received the ball on the halfway line and was allowed to run at the defence into the penalty area, where he perfectly released the ball to allow Wynne to tap home from six yards.

Ten minutes later the match was all over bar the shouting as Bangor got a third. Wynne this time turned provider as he came in found Smyth to end the match as a contest.