CPD Porthmadog 654


1 - 1

Bangor City

CPD Porthmadog v
Bangor City

Kick off:14:00 Saturday, 11 Nov 2006
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 324

Referee: Kerry Morgan

Port snatch draw from the Jiws of victory!

<1>It was a case of snatching a draw from the jaws (or should it be Jiws) of victory for Porthmadog, as they allowed Bangor back into the game in the last ten minutes through defending deeply after totally dominating the second half of the game. Inevitably it was Marc Lloyd Williams, nicknamed Jiws, who grabbed an 89th minute equaliser to level the scores.

There was little to commend in a first half which was seriously affected by the strong blustery wind. It was the visitors who had the wind at their backs in the opening half. Bangor though seemed unable to take advantage of the wind over hitting a series of long balls which came to nothing. In fact twelve minutes had passed before a single shot was fired on goal and that came from Bangor's Mike Walsh, but caused few problems for home keeper Richard Harvey. Port came closest to opening the scoring after half an hour when Ian Havard did well to tip Ryan Davies's goal bound header over the bar. At the other end Harvey pulled off a good save to keep out an angled shot from Lloyd Williams.

In the second period, Porthmadog seemed determined to make better use of the elements and only a minute had gone when Gareth Parry rattled the Bangor cross bar with a thunderbolt from 25 yards. Bangor retaliated with a speculative long distance effort from Kieran Killackey, which drew a good save from Harvey. Then it was all Porthmadog, firstly Chris Evans fired narrowly wide and then Les Davies on 55 minutes put the home side ahead. Havard had initially pulled off a good save, but it was Davies who reacted first to put the ball in the net from close range. Port continued to dominate and a second goal looked inevitable but despite good build up often involving Les Davies, Jason Sadler and Gareth Parry the final pass did not materialise. The introduction of Carl Owen further stretched the visitors' defence and from one of his supplies Gareth Parry fired narrowly wide. Then with victory seeming inevitable the home side took their foot off the pedal, reversed the tactics which had served them well and withdrew into deep defensive positions. This only served to encourage the visitors and they sensed that there might be something for them after all. Carl Jones tested Harvey at his near post and then with only a minute of the ninety left Kevin Scott swung across the right wing corner, which provided Lloyd Williams with just enough room to find the net.