NEWI Cefn Druids 794


2 - 2

Connah's Quay Nomads

NEWI Cefn Druids v
Connah's Quay Nomads

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 8 Sept 2006
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 204

Referee: Lee Evans

Druids and Nomads Share the Spoils

A volley from Carl Lamb ten minutes from time completed a Druids comeback against Connah's Quay Nomads, which earned the club its first point of the season. The Nomads had led 2-0 at Plaskynaston Lane with goals from the prolific Tommy Mutton and skipper Marc Limbert, but Mike Heverin's penalty pulled a goal back before Lamb's mint finish levelled the scores.

With Matthew Cook unavailable, Druids manager, Dixie McNeil switched to a 4-3-3 formation with Darren Williams returning to join Heverin and Lamb up front. The visitors, who looked to continue their unbeaten start to the season and started at a fast pace, took the lead on 20 minutes when Aled Rowlands' attempted back header under pressure lacked any real pace allowing Phil Molyneux to capitalise and square the ball to Mutton, who had the simple task to tap home.

Druids, through Lamb, had three opportunities to level the scores before the break, but the striker was unable to capitalise in the one-on-one situations. The lead was doubled four minutes after the interval when James Taylor's headed clearance fell to Limbert on the edge of the box and the League's Player of the Month for August was able to control the ball before firing home, giving Carl Edwards in the Druids' goal no chance.

Druids, though, were given a lifeline on 63 minutes when a penalty was awarded after Dave Swanick was adjudged to have fouled Lamb as he was shepherding the striker towards the goal line. Undeterred, Heverin confidently struck the resulting spot kick hard and low to Paul Smith's right, to reduce the deficit.

The penalty award briefly spurred on the visitors, but it was short-lived as the Druids once again took control of the game as they searched for an equaliser. The search came to a fruitful conclusion on 80 minutes when a long ball forward was flicked on by Williams into the Nomads danger area, allowing Lamb to volley past Smith from 12 yards.

Druids pressed on for a winner and created the opportunities to maybe take the win that the performance deserved. Unfortunately, Williams headed wide before, a minute later, Lamb headed over. Druids' leading scorer then sent a lob over Smith in stoppage time which went just wide of the post, before forcing the keeper into a fine save from a volley eight yards out, meaning that Druids had to settle for a point.